“RBC is a proud partner of the PGA Tour. Our partnership is based on two world golf tournaments – the RBC Heritage and the RBC Canadian Open. The PGA Tour has been clear about its intentions under its own tournament regulations if a golfer chooses to play in an off-tour tournament, including the LIV Golf Invitational Series RBC He said in the current situation.
“We recently learned that Dustin Johnson has made the decision to play the inaugural LIV Golf Invitational Series. DJ has been a valued member of the RBC team since 2018. While we are deeply disappointed in his decision, we wish him well.”
RBC has sponsored Johnson since 2018 and was scheduled to play in the RBC Canadian Open, which begins on June 9 and takes place the same weekend as the starting event for LIV Golf. Johnson won the Canadian Open in 2018, tournament organizers He said In a statement, they were “disappointed to learn at this late stage” that Johnson would skip this year’s championship, his first since 2019.
Graeme McDowell, 2010 US Open champion, is Another RBC golfer Who will play in the LIV Golf event?
The names of Johnson and McDowell were among 42 announced on Tuesday by organizers of the LIV Golf Invitational Series, which will take place at the Centurion Club outside London from June 9-11. Profitable portfolios on 54-hole formats with team competitions, starting shotguns and no cuts.
This is due in part to the huge investment by the Saudi regime, as well as Threats of punishment Written by PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan – Especially Afterwards Incendiary Comments by Phil Mickelson Posted in February – Most of the top names on the PGA Tour have been around Closed rows behind the stationary circuit. At the time, Johnson released a statement declaring that he was “fully committed to the PGA Tour.”
Ahead of the PGA Championship in May, Johnson was asked about the LIV Golf . Report interest in being drawn And how he saw the “crossroads” the sport could reach with a potential PGA Tour contender.
Johnson “I mean, I think golf is in a good place” replied. He said he thinks LIV Golf participation “could be good for golf”.
After Johnson added that he was “excited to see what’s going to happen here in a few weeks”, he was asked what he meant by being “excited”.
He said, “I will watch.”
Assuming Johnson plays in the London event, it would give LIV Golf not only a jolt of star power but the highest-rated player. 37 years old is American number 13 in the world rankings.
“Dustin has been considering this opportunity on and off for the past two years. Johnson’s agent, David Winkle, said in a statement (via News agency).
Winkle continued, “Dustin has never had a problem with the PGA Tour and is grateful for everything he gave him, but in the end he felt this was too compelling to miss.”
The only other top 20 player on the list is Louis Oosthuizen, a South African who won the 2010 British Open and is ranked 20th in the world. As expected, many of the other big names at LIV Golf were Europeans, including Sergio Garcia, Lee Westwood and Ian Poulter. Other notable Americans set to join Johnson in England include Kevin Na and Taylor Gotsch, who are in the top 35.
Not on the list was Mickelson, who was there voluntary exile After the firestorm because of his statements. He hasn’t played on the PGA Tour since late January and This year’s master’s sessionand for the first time since 1994, the PGA Championship where He was the champion of 2021.
Mickelson could be one of six players yet to be announced for the field in England. His manager said in April that Mickelson had applied for a PGA Tour pass to play in the event.
In May, though, the PGA Tour He denied the release of all his players who were seeking a chance to compete in the first LIV Golf event. “As a membership organization, we believe this decision is in the best interests of the PGA Tour and its players,” the organization said in a note.
Last year, Monahan reportedly threatened players with immediate and possibly extended bans if they joined the Saudi-backed project. Greg Norman, the great golfer who heads up the series’ organizing company, replied back in February by Menhan threatened to file a lawsuit If the Commissioner attempts to implement such penalties. After the PGA Tour refused to issue concessions for the inaugural tournament, Norman reportedly sent players a letter confirming that “LIV Golf supports you And he will defend you and help you if any of the rounds [including the top European circuit] He tries to act against your interests and the progress of the sport.”
In a statement released Tuesday, Norman announced, “Free agency has finally come to golf.”
“This is an opportunity to start a movement that will change the course of history by introducing a new and open competition to the sport we all love,” he continued. “The desire that the players have shown to participate in LIV Golf demonstrates their firm belief in our model and their confidence in what we are building for the future.”
Other notable names in the inaugural field include 2011 Masters champion Charles Schwarzl, and former US Open and PGA Championship winner Martin Kaymer, Branden Grace and Bernd Weisberger.
Choosing Johnson and the other players to compete in this event will put the design of Monahan and the PGA Tour to the test. As of Tuesday evening, the PGA Tour has yet to comment on the announcement of London Square.
“Thinker. Wannabe twitter lover. Entrepreneur. Food fan. Total communicator. Coffee specialist. Web evangelist. Travel fanatic. Gamer.”