At the end of March, Valve is making Changes to the way studios and publishers can offer their games at a discount on Steam, which seems like a simple administrative thing is also something more Financially savvy Steam game buyers among you may want to keep an eye on it.
Posted earlier this monthone of the blog posts is called Backlink Discount base changes He says that starting March 28, Valve will “change some discount rules,” with the main rules being a revised “discount slowdown” period and abolishing the ability for developers and publishers to “discount product by more than 90% or less than 10%.”
While it’s easy to look at a move like the last and feel somewhat unfair to users, it’s clear that every change that is made is to stop those responsible for pricing the game – and we’re talking about everyone from the simplest little cheat game to the biggest AAA publishers – not just Steam games algorithm to highlight their releases, but also trick users into believing that the sale is bigger than it actually is by artificially inflating the original previously discounted price.
The details of the changes are:
– You can play an absolutely discount, but once the launch discount expires, you can’t play any more discounts for 28 days.
– Your product cannot be deducted for 28 days after the price increase in any currency.
– Discounts cannot be implemented within 28 days of your previous opponent, except for seasonal events across Steam.
– Discounts on seasonal sale events cannot be made within 28 days of your title being released, within 28 days of the launch discount ending, or within 28 days of a price increase in any currency.
– You cannot change your price when the promotion is live now or scheduled in the future.
A product cannot be discounted more than 90% or less than 10%.
– Custom discounts cannot last more than two weeks, or last for less than one day.
Will this actually work? Who knows! But it definitely looks more robust on paper, at least.
“Infuriatingly humble music trailblazer. Gamer. Food enthusiast. Beeraholic. Zombie guru.”