North Korea’s Defense Ministry said Monday that North Korea launched what appears to be a ballistic missile at Japan.
The Japanese Ministry of Defense announced that the apparent ballistic missile was launched at 7:22 a.m. local time and passed over Japan at 7:29 a.m.
The South Korean government confirmed that the Japanese government warned citizens to take cover. It is possible that the missile flew over Japan, but it is still unknown whether the missile fell into the sea.
Residents in Aomori and Hokkaido prefectures, towards Japan’s northern tip, were advised to be on alert and notify police or fire officials if debris was seen.
Officials also warned people not to touch or pick up any debris.
Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida’s office began gathering members to analyze the situation.
A government spokesman said no damage had been reported so far and the wreck was being searched for. Officials are collecting information and will work with South Korea and the United States
“North Korea’s actions threaten Japan and the international community,” the spokesman said. “Such a missile launch is inconsistent with UN resolutions. Japan will launch a strong protest against North Korea in view of this. All new information will be shared immediately.”
ABC News’ Joohee Cho, Guy Davies, and Anthony Trotter contributed to this report.
“Professional web geek. Alcohol fan. Devoted zombie trailblazer. Certified social media lover. Amateur creator. Friendly food nerd.”
Prosecutors accept Jorge Santos in Brazilian fraud case
Canadian MP Han Dong steps down over allegations of Chinese interference
Ethiopia scraps bid to end probe into Tigray abuses ordered early by UN – sources