Jonathan Majors appeared virtually in New York Criminal Court on Tuesday for a case conference regarding assault and harassment charges as the DA provided new details in the complaint, which the actor’s attorney alleged was part of a “witch-hunt” against Majors.
The Marvel actor was arrested March 25 in New York after police answered a 911 call in Chelsea. Police said a 30-year-old woman alleged she was assaulted by the actor and sustained minor injuries to her head and neck. Priya Choudhury, Majors’ criminal defense attorney, denied any wrongdoing by her client and said he was the one who called 911 because he was concerned about the “mental health” of the woman.
The actor, who was released from police custody later on March 25, faces charges of misdemeanor assault and aggravated harassment.
Since the alleged incident occurred, the judge has issued a full temporary protection order for the woman involved in the case. The order was requested by the Manhattan District Attorney’s office and approved by defense attorneys.
In Tuesday’s hearing, Judge Rachel S. Paulie Majors that he must continue to abide by the full protective order, which includes no contact with the individual. At the time of the original order of protection, Chaudhry said the judge’s move was “standard in such cases, and we agreed to it because Mr Majors wanted nothing to do with the woman who assaulted him.”
Approximately Tuesday, Majors appeared on television on the court wearing a beige jersey, pictured against a white background. He did not speak other than responding affirmatively to the judge’s claims.
The charges and charges remain the same, but new complaint language from the district attorney indicates that the woman also sustained an injury to her right arm and was pushed into a car by Majors, as well as lacerations to her right ear and finger. (The complaint no longer includes reports of bruising and a neck injury.) During the hearing, the defense team said they needed to review additional materials with Majors.
In a statement sent after the hearing, Chaudhry said the woman in question was “lying” about the alleged incident and that Majors’ defense team had additional video to back up the claim (Chowdhury’s team had earlier released videos and transcripts between the woman and Majors). Chowdhury also claimed that the police’s treatment of Majors and criminal justice is an example of racial bias.
“This is a witch-hunt against Jonathan Majors, prompted by baseless allegations. Rather than dismiss the allegations in the face of the woman’s apparent lies, the DA has adjusted the charges to match the woman’s new lies. To be clear, there are no new charges against Mr. Majors,” Chowdhury said.
In April, Majors was axed by his management company, Entertainment 360, and his public relations team, The Lede Company.
One day after his arrest, a representative of the Army’s Project Marketing Office said that a US Army advertising campaign featuring Majors had been paused.
Majors is currently scheduled to appear in person in court on June 13.
“Hardcore twitter fanatic. Proud coffee fanatic. Social media aficionado. Devoted tv enthusiast. Alcohol scholar. Bacon specialist. Avid troublemaker.”
Watch Millie Bobby Brown and Jake Bongiovi, son of Bon Jovi, celebrate at their engagement party
Aries June 2023 horoscope
Padma Lakshmi is leaving Top Chef after its 20th season