Rio de Janeiro – The UFC 283 The main event catapulted one fighter to the pinnacle of the sport, while another cruised off into the sunset.
Jamhel Hill(12-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) defeated Glover Teixeira (33-9 MMA, 16-7 UFC) to win the UFC Light Heavyweight title by unanimous decision (50-44, 50-44, 50-44). The light heavyweight title bout was the main event of UFC 283 at Jeunesse Arena.
Many pundits have asked how Hill will fare when faced with tough Teixeira challenges. The tone was set early on when Hill blocked several of Teixeira’s takedown attempts. The first round was largely contested at a distance with Teixeira’s occasional (failed) attempt to drag her down.
In the second round, the pace picked up with the defense largely down. In a run that wouldn’t have seemed out of place if it went along with his five-round thriller against Jerry Prochazka in June, Teixeira found himself in trouble for Hill’s headbutt.
Hill sensed Teixeira’s instability and landed dozens of punches. Teixeira kept Hill at bay, but absorbed some damage in the process. Somehow, somehow, Teixeira Hill went down and landed a pound and a pound before the round was over.
In the third round, Hill turned up the volume. He pummeled Teixeira with a barrage of punches as the match seemed close to stopped at multiple points. Hill headed again and got the hit but Teixeira hung on hard.
In the tournament rounds, Teixeira was badly injured in both eyes. He absorbed more and more blows as the round progressed – so many, in fact, that there was controversy in the corner about throwing in the towel.
– ESPN MMA (@espnmma) January 22, 2023
In the end, the angles and the doctors decided to let the fight continue, with Teixeira shouting, “Let’s go, baby. F*cking A.”
Teixeira came out aggressively straight into Hill. In the opening minute, Hill was taken down and ended up on the mountain. Hill scrambled and ended up on top – a crucial reversal. With a minute to go, Teixeira escaped to his feet. Over time, Hill avoided unnecessary exchanges on his way to the final bell.
– UFC (UFC) January 22, 2023
Moments after the title wrapped around Hill’s emotional waist, Teixeira took off his gloves and placed them in the center of the cage – announcing his retirement.
“I’m too tough for my own good,” Teixeira said. “I am very hard on my health,” he explained, explaining why he preferred to turn his attention to training at this point in his life.
– ESPN MMA (@espnmma) January 22, 2023
UFC 283 results up to the minute include:
- Jamal Hill defeated. Glover Teixeira by unanimous decision (50-44, 50-44, 50-44) – to win the Light Heavyweight Title
- Brandon Moreno Dave. Deiveson Figueiredo via TKO (doctor stop) – third round, 5:00 – to unify the flyweight title
- Gilbert Burns defeated. Neil Magney via submission (arm triangle choke) – First round, 4:15
- Jessica Andrade def. Lauren Murphy via unanimous decision (30-25, 30-25, 30-26)
- Johnnie Walker def. Paul Craig via TKO (knockouts) – 1st round, 2:16
- Ihor Potieria def. Mauricio Rua via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4:05
- Bruno Ferreira def. Gregory Rodriguez by knockout (punch) – Round 1, 4:13
- Thiago Moises defeated. Melquizael Costa via submission (naked rear choke) – Round 2, 4:05
- Gabriel Bonfim def. Mounir Laziz by submission (guillotine choke) – first round 0:49
- Gilton Almeida defeated. Shamil Abdurahimov via TKO (punches) – 2nd round, 2:56
- Cody Staman Dave. Luan Lacerda by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Ismail Bonfim, Terrence McKinney, by knockout (knee) – 2nd round, 2:17
- Nicholas Dalby defeated. Warlley Alves via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Josiane Nunes defeated. Zara Verne by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Daniel Marcus defeated. Simon Oliveira by knockout (punches) – 2nd round, 2:18
For more card information, visit Junkie’s MMA Events Center UFC 283.
“Thinker. Wannabe twitter lover. Entrepreneur. Food fan. Total communicator. Coffee specialist. Web evangelist. Travel fanatic. Gamer.”