Another 90 minutes are in the books for this prep season, and thankfully, this guy was looking in doubt for a hot minute as thunder and lightning descended on Charlotte, NC and caused a 65-minute delay in getting off.
But in the end we got down to business, both teams came out with full effort and intent, and Charlotte forward Karol Schwedersky took this opportunity to raise his profile in particular.
But Chelsea’s quality shined through in the first half until that point, as Christian Pulisic took advantage of a lucky deflection from Michy Batshuayi’s shot and had an easy opportunity to slot into the net in the 30th minute.
Chelsea actually turned it on after the goal and dominated the remainder of the half, coming close a few times, but weren’t quite able to get past goalkeeper Christian Kahlina, who also made a superb turn.
Chelsea who turned completely (with the exception of the goalkeeper) lost all that rhythm in the second half, and made the weather more grueling for the opponent.
In the end, we put two flowing moves together in the final quarter of the game, but we couldn’t count them. Mason Mount and Raheem Sterling made one excellent save each, but was toothless in the second half 45.
Charlotte then won a penalty kick in the last seconds of the match in exchange for a share of the “spoils”.
And then it wasn’t over yet. The confusion prevailed but in the end there were the penalties, just like the last time we played a pre-season game here.
Still, after all, at least no injuries and more fitness.
With peace of mind.
- Eleventh first half (3-4-3): Mendy | Emerson, Silva, James | Alonso, Kovacic, Jorginho (c), Hudson-Odoi | Pulisic, Patchway, Zikh
- Eleventh second half (3-4-3): Mendy | Sar, Colwell, Chloba | Chilwell, Gallagher, Ampadu, Kennedy | Stirling, Havertz, Mount (c)
- Charlotte BK: Rios (Degrees), Macon (Degrees), Walk (Degrees), Mora (Degrees), Joviac (Degrees)
- Chelsea players: Havertz (dozens), Chilwell (dozens), Gallagher (saved), Sterling (dozens)
- NEXT: Against Arsenal in Orlando, Florida on Saturday in the final match of the USA Tour
“Thinker. Wannabe twitter lover. Entrepreneur. Food fan. Total communicator. Coffee specialist. Web evangelist. Travel fanatic. Gamer.”